10 December 2011

Feedback for Assignment 4

Feedback received promptly. The highlights comments are:

"You chose a good subject..."; 
"Your approach to, and execution of, this assignment is well conceived....";
".....pleasing to note that you learnt a good deal about lighting....".

So good conclusions and the tone of the comments reflected very much my own thoughts.

Specific comments:

1. Favourable comments, notes the soft focus that I applied. Comments on background pink colour as a "surprise" but "works well". Agree on both counts; I was concerned that it would not work myself but the result is surprisingly good.

Tutor asks whether applied levels adjustment. The pedantic answer is no, as I do almost all post processing in the Photoshop Camera Raw processing software, but the sliders thereon perform the same function as Levels. I always adjust these; I cannot think of a single image that does not benefit from at least a little tweaking. He goes on to say that the area below the boiler "might be lifted a little". Fair comment, and have gone back to review this. Here are the before (as per Assignment) and after (dodged the area below the boiler rather than applying universal adjustment) images:



The detail below the boiler is enhanced in the lower image - a slightly better image.

2. Tutor comments that the backlit shot is "...a good method for defining the shape of the object." Pleased to receive endorsement for the idea. The execution of this shot (the last I took for this assignment) took a long time and required a vast number of attempts, as it was important to stop the flash peeping between the chassis and the boiler, and to achieve the optimal flash level. Tutor says he might have increased the fill light a little to show detail above wheels, picking on the weakness I saw in the image myself. I tried to rectify with some dodging in post processing, but unsuccessfully. As tutor says, some reflected light might have helped, possibly holding some card near the camera. I did not think of this although it would have risked overdoing the reflection. There is a balance here between emphasising shape by means of a silhouette effect, and providing some form to avoid a flat image. I achieved this at the top of the boiler, perhaps not lower down.

3. Pleasing that tutor says the two 'form' images are very good; I thought they were the best two of the nine. Little to add to his comments on image 3 - he has picked up on the use of the wide angle lens; deliberately used in order to achieve something a little different.

4. Notes the change of background. Again pleased this is noticed - I used a variety of backgrounds, mainly red or pink, which are complementary to the green of the boiler (see Assignment 3) but also a large white card as in second image. Tutor mentions work of O. Winston Link. I looked up images he took, and can see the point tutor makes: Link took many of his train images at night. To quote from Wikipedia: Link's images were always meticulously set up and posed, and he chose to take most of his railroad photographs at night. He said "I can't move the sun — and it's always in the wrong place — and I can't even move the tracks, so I had to create my own environment through lighting." My effort at a pseudo night time shot is indeed reminiscent of some of Link's work.


5. I was concerned about first texture shot - thought perhaps it lacked interest but tutor appreciates "crisp well-defined surface [thus capturing] a good range of textural detail".

6. I liked the second image; perhaps the most imaginative of the nine. Favourable comments received.

7. Tutor notes soft pinkish background - this worked well and achieved by desaturating the red channel; I felt the colour was too strong as taken (similar to background on first image). Perhaps could have emphasised the strength of the silver detail and black body in my commentary, as tutor suggests.


8. Little comment on this image.


9. Tutor likes use of cyclorama background to produce a "..distinct and quite odd shadow..". This was intentional, and achieved by using card bent upwards very close to the model. Wonders whether darker areas might be lifted a little. Have looked a this and set out below the before (as per Assignment) and after (lifting darker levels) images:





A little detail is lost in the lower image but it is punchier, particularly on the shadow, so agree with comment.


Overall, very satisfied with feedback. The Chapter and Assignment have done much to develop my photographic skills and techniques.